Did you know that certain common household foods can be poisonous, and sometimes even fatal for your dog? We know it’s nearly impossible to resist giving your adorable pup a bite of your food, which is why your friends at Scoop Soldiers want to warn you and help keep your dogs safe.
Watch out for these common household foods to keep away from your dog.
While almonds are a good source of protein and healthy fat for humans, it’s best to avoid feeding this kind of nut to dogs. Almonds, along with other nuts such as macadamia nuts and pecans, can often block or tear the esophagus if not chewed properly. And, how many dogs do you know who chew properly…? Not many! Salted almonds are particularly dangerous, as they’re known to increase water retention, which is especially fatal for breeds prone to heart disease.
2. Grapes and Raisins
Your dog may have snuck a grape or two at some point with the effects going unnoticed, but grapes and raisins have been known to cause renal failure. While the side effects sometimes do not show up right away, ingesting grapes or raisins can result in your dog’s kidneys shutting down, vomiting and can ultimately lead to death. While you may think they’re a tasty treat, it’s best to keep them away from your pup.
3. Garlic and Onions
Despite garlic and onions being popular ingredients in many dishes, these two foods can be detrimental to your dog’s health. Not only will they give your dog fiery dragon breath, but they can also destroy their red blood cells. While small doses usually don’t do much harm, low red blood cells can cause anemia, vomiting and breathlessness. It’s best to keep the garlic and onion dip on the table and away from your dog.
While this might be a trendy brunch food for us humans, it can have severe effects on your dog’s overall health and well-being. Avocado leaves, pits and fruit contain a toxin called persin. Depending on the variety of avocado, it can cause an upset stomach, fluid buildup in the chest cavity and breathing difficulties for your dog. However, the most dangerous part of the fruit is the large pit, which can be swallowed by dogs, leading to choking or obstructing the gastrointestinal tract.
Last but not least, chocolate is known to have many negative effects on the health of your dog. It’s not just an old wives’ tale. Chocolate contains a substance called methylxanthines, which is extremely toxic when ingested by dogs. Dark chocolate in particular is known to cause diarrhea and vomiting, but large amounts of any kind of chocolate can cause seizures, tremors, extreme dehydration and even death. Save the sweets for yourself and resist those puppy eyes. Your dog will thank you in the long run!
While we may not be able to rid your house of harmful foods, we can rid your yard of pet waste. Contact us today to schedule your first poop scooping!